Odyssey SwimRun Mackinac Island Race Report: So That Happened

Please forgive the length. First SwimRun Race and not many races to be had, so need to document what we learn.

First lets hit the key details before we dig into the fun and foibles!

The Team: We did this race as "Passive Aggressive Teamwork" Pat Lowman (39/215/6') and Matt Skavnak (45/245/6'4)

At the start

Race Day: August 28th, 2022 - Odyssey SwimRun Mackinac Island

The Course: 2 Person Long Course (18.75 miles / 30 km). The course is around an island without motorized vehicles and has a paved ring road all the way around it where all the swim entrances and exits are located making it ideal for spectators to rent bikes and travel spot to spot. For the athletes, the island is known as the Great Turtle so you have to climb to the top on most of the runs via hills or stairs and then make your way back down. The water is very shallow and rocky, but very clear.

How's that for a Course Map?

Conditions: Near Perfect (for us). Just under 70 degrees air temp to start building to 80+ with water temps around 70 degrees. The water was a bit choppy which suits us. The worse water conditions the better!

Pre-Race Status: 

  • Pat: Lazy and Dumb
  • Skav: Fat and Stupid

But seriously, Pat and I had Covid in the weeks leading up to the race and, in my case, right up to the day of the race in my case. I had ended up injured for the majority of the summer after hurting a hamstring in March marathon training and we both entered the race in pretty poor status. I would rate Pat at 7/10 and myself at 4/10 respectively. I tested negative for COVID the first time, race morning, but had already completed all the CDC quarantine requirements and had been masking all the days prior including for sleep in the hotel room and my family that traveled with me did not get COVID, so I was careful. That said I was very fatigued the whole time leading up to this. Pat and I only practiced tethering and in our wetsuits for the first time the Wednesday before the race! It was not ideal. I also forgot to eat my breakfast like the nitwit I am.

Race Goals: We really were just hoping to finish. Despite just starting to feel better from COVID, I really had no fitness, so Pat was just going to have to push me through the race. I promised him I would run at least 1 full mile of each leg, but I couldn't guarantee anything beyond that. We had hoped to be competitive. We knew even in top shape we weren't going to be at the front of the race, but when we signed up we were thinking back of the front of the race. Now we were hoping just to beat someone. Finish last is okay though too, as long as we finished.

Gear Check: This is super important information for SwimRunners, IMO. The Low Tide Boyz podcast gives great information, but you have to listen to alot to get the best info. The most crucial piece is the wetsuit and we went with the Vigg because its the most minimal and I'm a huge sweater. I'm talking like my own rain cloud bad. We were trying our first every trail shoes and since I'm a Saucony fan-boy we tried the Peregrines. We basically had the same gear. Pat chose to add socks last minute due to possible heel rub on all the stairs (good choice).

Gear

Skav

Pat

Wetsuit:

ARK Vigg 22

ARK Vigg 22

Shoes:

Saucony Peregrine 12

Saucony Peregrine 12

Pull Buoy:

ARK Keel+ (Lasso Style)

ARK Keel+ (Lasso Style)

Paddles:

Synergy Hand Paddles for Swim Training (Orange, Medium)

Synergy Hand Paddles for Swim Training (Yellow, Medium)

Googles:

ROKA R1 Cobalt Mirror

ROKA R1 Cobalt Mirror

Socks:

CEP Compression Knee High

Paplus Ankle Compression Running Sock

TETHER: ✅

Mob Vibe: I'm not sure if someone has coined a phrase for a group of SwimRunners yet, but I'm throwing out mob for consideration and have already mentally trademarked it! Sort of felt like a mob all standing on the dock of Shepler's Ferry waiting to get going and then roaming through, over, and around the island! The vibe was super laid back and although there were some nerves, it just felt overall like a happy go-lucky group and although we didn't really talk to anyone, it was just fun standing there waiting to go. Lots of chatter and people seeming to know each other or making friends for a long day.

Let's Get to the Race, shall we?

We started out the race at a nice easy pace and wanted to make sure that we didn't get sucked into the race up front early and then blow up like a couple idiots. Fortunately, we were so undertrained and just off COVID that we weren't able to perform the patented "Randy J Peerbolt" blow up where you go all out on the first intervals and then can barely complete a set. The first run takes you up to the top of the island for the first time and around the Governor's mansion. We were so busy dodging people and road apples (horse manure) that we didn't even notice the mansion because the sunrise is breathtaking! Then it was on to running the downhill pavement where I just let gravity take me in an attempt to not blow my quads worse on the way down then up. 

Someone forgot to use their buoy!

We came around to Mission Point resort where I was staying and down to the water in front of the great lawn and saw my family for the first time as we attempted our first run to swim transition. Here I began my constant struggle with my swim cap. Without any hair its a battle to get it on and off, but I'm too sweaty to leave it on. We got 2 strokes into the swim when I realized I hadn't dropped my pull buoy (see picture)! This was the beginning of my second battle with the Euro pull buoy! I'm telling you, the Euro Pull buoys are to buoys what American SUVs are to cars. Its huge and you need specific fitness to keep it on! Pat commented that he hurt the most in his groin after the race due to trying to keep his on in the water, but man does it make swimming with your shoes easy! First swim was great and we passed a ton of people, but then you also learn that alot of the swim distance is actually walking along the rocks to get out deep enough to swim, but we didn't mind. Pat also forgot to zip up his suit on this leg, so we were all over the place to start. 


Glad the rocks were dry!
We got out and headed for the 2nd run which is the longest at 3 miles. We jogged past family at the exit and headed for the hills. We stuck to our plan to walk up the hills due to lack of fitness and go to the first brief trail section. Witnesses our first fall of a guy who took it like a pro and kept going despite some good natured ribbing, it wouldn't come back to haunt me (yes, it would). Run has a fun path through the cemeteries, around Sugar Loaf (big rock formation) and around Fort Holmes with just another amazing view I'd never seen before. Then it was downhill to the Arch Rock (a big rock with a hole in it according to my daughter) and the 207 steps to the water. Here is where you have to start climbing the seawall to get to the water so you can walk out till its deep enough to swim. Fortunately it was dry, but you could see this being more of a challenge in wet, slippery conditions. 

Still happy!
Pat and I got in for a quick swim and then short run back to the stairs where the real battle begins. Up the 207 steps again and then up another flight of stairs that my tour guide the day before had called "Stairs to Nowhere". Boy is she wrong! This was the best run of the whole race! The trail runs along the edge of the bluff around the island and the views are incredible when you can't look up without fear of falling. So fun. Pat threatened to push me off the bluff, but I reminded him we were tethered together. Started having some good chats with folks as they passed us or we passed them. Then another stumbling run down a steep gravel hill. Now that the 2 longest runs were done a series of longer swims started to come up and we started to make some ground on teams. It was interesting because we weren't swimming hard due to my fitness, but we were still pretty strong in this middle half of the race.

We started seeing the same teams pass us on each run leg after we must have passed them in the water. I wouldn't know though because I was really focused on following the tether in front of me and keeping the Keel+ between my legs! I lost it so many times that Pat finally told me to "stop playing with myself". 😁 But we just started having a blast out there.


Photo Courtesy Kimberly Moss Photography

There is one particularly long slow grinding hill at the start of Run 5 that we found ourselves the head of the line of 4-5 teams walking up it. I took the opportunity to let the other teams know we were "crushing them" on the hill in a light-hearted way knowing full well that once we got to the airport and the downhill we'd be seeing them again! Couple of the teams got into the ribbing a little bit at this point and we had some fun the rest of the way. I also dropped my goggles on this leg, but fortunately someone pointed it out before it became a problem, but just evidence of the camaraderie out there. 

There is a short one mile run on the paved path to the final swim and we got out of the water at this point feeling pretty good. Pretty much the high point of the race for us was when we passed what turned out to be the second place men's team on this run. Their caboose runner looked in worse shape then me as we passed them, but about .25 of a mile down the road I cracked. I'm not sure if it wsa the Covid, lack of training, heat, too little nutrition or what, but my body just decided enough. We had to walk the flats for the first time to the last swim. It was my turn to forget to zip up my suit this time and the last swim is by far the choppiest. 

Stairs Up and Down to Arch Rock
We got out and I'm telling you it felt like the last leg starts with a climb up the Empire State Building! We had passed the guys again on the swim and we started the climb just ahead of them. I can't be certain the actual amount of steps, but what felt like 10 stories in I thought I was going to barf. Pat just kept encouraging me saying "one step at a time" like a jerk who feels great... I'd have stabbed him if I could get close enough. We offered to let the guys through on the steps, but heard a quick "No thanks, we are in no hurry" which I think made us all laugh. When you get to the top its basically just a trail run followed by a light paved finish to another set of stairs (down). When we got to the top I believe we were in 7th overall, but we finished 12th. We got duded, chicked, coupled, and singled by a steady group of stronger teams. It always feels terrible to be the weak link, but Pat was great and just said, let's finish, we did great. We finally got to the last set of stairs and the finish. Listened to our names be butchered and be told we were from Minnesota instead of Michigan, but we didn't care. It was over. Pat had 18 minutes to get to his hotel and shower before check out and with the whole Covid thing I just didn't want to linger, but we did get some well earned high 5s from some of the teams we battled! So fun. We finished 12th, right in the middle. Its pretty cool that there is no distinction between gender teams. The ladies who won were cruising and there were a lot of co-ed teams ahead of us. We didn't even consider we had got 3rd place in the men's group so missed our plaques. LOL.


At the finish. I really did need a beer!

Best Parts of this Race:

  • The Venue: The island is incredible and a real jewel of Michigan which, in my opinion, is saying something. This is an event to bring the family to as you won't find many places like this in the world. Beautiful, fun, but pricy. The ring road makes it easy for a family to follow the race. We saw Pat's family and my family at every swim. 
  • The Views: I haven't done many races that can compete with the views! The Sunrise was incredible. The views of the harbor and the lake from the bluffs are incredible. Swimming along to a view of the Mackinac Bridge. All pretty amazing.
  • The Course: You see almost every major sight on the island. Even stuff I'd never seen before. Kept you occupied with how beautiful the island is and easy spectating for family, even my 75 year old Mom and Pat's young children.
  • SwimRun Vibe: It was just so fun. Seeing teams, leapfrogging, a bit of good natured trash talking. We just need to add fouling...
Any Complaints about the Race:
  • The Finish: It was understandably low key to be in Marquette Park, but you couldn't really even hear the speakers as the finishers and we walked away before even finding out we got third. Our fault, but just a little chaotic and maybe something to improve on having a path like most other races I've done.
  • Shallow Swims: Nothing can be done here. They did a great job, but I just like to gripe.
  • Stairs: No way to avoid them, but they suck!
  • Sighting Swim Exits: Pat said it was hard to see. I wouldn't know, I wasn't looking!
Funniest Occurrences:
  • While trail running Pat side skirted a mud pile through a thicket and while I was trying to navigate it, he didn't bother to stop and pulled me straight into the mud (probably horse manure too)! He looks back, "Stop playing in da mud, Skav!"
  • Ribbing a team for running up a hill, showing off in front of us. Then when they got to the top they started walking down and we again ribbed them for not doing it right!
Key Stats:
  • Total Falls: Skav 2: Pat 0
  • Lost Goggles: Skav 2 (recovered 1 set): Pat 0
  • Pee breaks: Pat 1: Skav 1
  • Times we forgot to zip up: Pat 1: Skav 1
  • Times we lost our pull buoys: Skav 6: Pat 0
  • Place: 12th out of 23th. 3rd Men's Team.
  • Time: 4:53
Lessons Learned: Many, but this report is long enough! I'll save for another post no one will read.

Final Thought: We were both hooked on SwimRun. If its this fun just off covid without enough training, imagine how fun doing it for real could be!

Get the coffee in.

Skav

Comments

Popular Posts