Week 5 Update: Battle of the Bulge




Good to be back from vacation and The Water Buffaloes were back doing their usual Saturday morning triathlon (run/swim/coffee)! Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks is just the reward one needs to keep pushing!


Week 5 Weigh-In

Weight

Skav

Pat

Start: 9/5/22

244.8

212

Today: 10/17/22

237.5

198.5

Week Gain (Loss)

(3.7)

(1.3)

Total Gain (Loss)

(7.3)

(13.5)

Goal for Lake James 4/23/22

215

185

To Goal:

(22.5)

(13.8)



Had the bigger weight drop this week from Pat. It really was less than the 3.7 when you think about my middle weigh-in being on vacation, but still moving in the right direction. Pat's "cheat" cleanse got him way out in front, but I'm trying to reel him back in! He made the observation that his cleanse helps him get rid of the "sugar" cravings. That is a real issue for me once 7pm hits until bed time. I was able to resist last night, but not the two previous. Haven't had a drop of alcohol since I returned nor have I craved any. Weight loss and strength, slow base build are the focus until Christmas when our plan kicks in. Now I need to come up with the plan!

Grand Rapids Marathon Spectating


The boys chase after Brad
 Being injured and unable to race some of the events on my usual calendar presented me with the opportunity to spectate an event I've done many times. The Grand Rapids Half and Full Marathon are a fun local event that hits a lot of my usual training areas and race areas, so I was very familiar with how to get to several places to cheer on my boys. Had 3 guys going for their The Boston Qualifier (TBQ) as well as other friends out to race. It was a cold, crisp, perfect weather morning for a marathon, but very cold for spectating and riding (41 degrees I believe at race start). Rode almost 6 miles from my parking spot to mile 6 of the course and set up by myself and a cool bend in the course that has a rise to it which give you a bit more time to identify friends and root for the runners. Had a bullhorn with me, but mostly just provided encouragement as I was at a spot between two of the larger areas for spectators. Saw my boys in the YMRF crew and provided encouragement till the 4:30 or so marathoners passed. Then had to adventure race myself over the 15/22 mile bridge location I spent most of the rest of the race. Its cool to see the runners in more unexpected places. I think the runners appreciate the support and the race gets lots of it, but fast fun to yell at/encourage the runners. 2 of the 3 got their times, but Kevin will need another shot at it. Full confidence he'll get it, just needs to figure out that pesky cramping that plagues both him and myself. Just was grateful to be out there cheering on the runners and feeling mostly injury free, but major FOMO not to be there. Pat was sitting at home not caring. I'll close with a video of Jon coming around the corner...


Get that coffee!

Skav



Comments

Popular Posts